Cecile Calabrese and Family!
Hi! I’m Cecile Foley Calabrese, 35, oldest child of Mickey, Alison’s second to oldest brother. I live with my family in Washington (state) about 40 miles from Mt. St. Helens. Sometimes on a clear day we can see her steam just over the ridge.
I have been married for 17 yrs to Perry, currently Band Director at La Center Middle School. He’s been a music teacher for 18 years now- I think.
I was working the last three years at a local elementary school as an after school computer instructor which was a really fun job. That position ended last June when the grant funding ran out. That’s okay though, I really like being here when the kids get home from school every day.
I have five children: Tristan, 16, a junior at Kelso High School. Cassie, 13, 8th grade, Huntington MS. Cary, 11, 6th gr also at HMS. Willow, 5, Kindergarten at Beacon Hill Elementary. Tim, 2, at home with me every day! I would like to say something about each one of my kids, so I apologize in advance, this will probably be long.
Tristan is an amazing musician, way better than Perry or I ever was at his age. He toured the country with the Oregon Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps last summer, is currently in the marching, jazz, and concert bands at KHS, performs with two Southwest Washington Youth Symphonies, and plays in the Lower Columbia Community College band. Tuba is his main instrument but he he has also performed on baritone, trombone, and bassoon.
Cassie plays clarinet, but her real dream these days is to become a massage therapist, travel abroad (the Foley gene?) and open up her own health spa in Italy. She was also researching becoming a foreign exchange student, but became discouraged when she realized speaking no other languages would be somewhat of a problem.
Cary is wonderful at home, such a huge help with the little ones. She just started playing cornet and is doing really well. She is on the Performing Team in the local gymnastics program - it’s really neat, kids of all different ages and ability levels compete together as a team.
Willow is in Kindergarten this year and enjoys school quite a bit, mainly because they have bars there and she can practice her gymnastics moves during recess! She has been doing gymnastics for a year & a half and is on the pre-team. Most likely she’ll compete next year as a level 4 gymnast. I do the gym’s webpage in return for classes, you can keep up with the girls’ team here: gymnastics4u.com.
Tim is in the midst of the talking explosion, learning new words every day. He repeats everything too, which is just wonderful (sarcastic), since he’s totally into bathroom humor.
Our kids are so lucky, they have the opportunity to participate in many different activities. Our town is just the right size to have a lot to offer but not so big that classes are overpriced or overcrowded.
It’s interesting having five kids spaced so far apart. After Tristan’s concert last Thursday night, I was reminded again how different they are - I was cleaning up Tim’s mess of mentholatum smeared on his dresser right after reminding Tristan to hang up his tux. Most of the time it’s fun but they sure can drive each other nuts.
Tue Nov 08, 10:30:02 AM EST

4 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hey Cecile! Loved reading about the kids!!
One thing stood out for me... About Cassie's desire to be a foreign exchange student, don't let her get discouraged about not speaking a foreign language!! I went to Chile when I was a junior in high school, despite not speaking a WORD of spanish. (I didn't even know how to ask where the bathroom was... critical.)
Anyway, I spent the first 3-4 months at school blundering around like an idiot, not speaking and just trying to learn as quickly as I could. And suddenly, after about 6 months -- breakthrough.
My school was really cooperative about me not being there for junior year. I think I had to read up on some U.S. History and read a couple of books on the English curriculum, but otherwise, I got 100 percent credit for my year abroad.
The experience of living and being immersed in another culture at such a young age really changed my life. I learned so much and grew so much, and still draw so much on my experiences of living there. I whole-heartedly recommend it for any young person who really wants it.
(That said, it's not something to be forced on kids either. Being away from home for so long is not for everyone.)
I was sponsored by my local Rotary club, which took a lot of the expense out of it too. So look into the options. It's a great, great experience and one I will never regret!!
Much love,
Meraiah
Wed Nov 09, 06:02:23 PM EST
Hi Meraiah - Thanks for the encouragement on the foreign exchange idea, I'll have Cass read it when she gets home. I was hoping one of you experts might have some input on that! I don't think she's concerned about being away from home for an extended period of time, might have something to do with all the people who live here, it's a bit hectic sometimes. Tristan too is always eager for activities and events that get him away from home and out of town.
Wed Nov 09, 07:56:34 PM EST
Hi Cecile,
Oh how I wish that you guys lived here in Bend. I miss seeing all these kids! We had so much fun when Norma came with 2 of your girls. They are so great, reminding us of you and Bernice when you were little. We miss you guys! Love, Joyce
Post a Comment
<< Home