Aunty Elephant's Umbrella

Gathered together under my Umbrella, we'll unite as Family and change the world for some children in Sri Lanka.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Richard Young said...

The umbrella may be Aunty Alison's, but if she's an 'aunty' I guess that makes me an 'uncle.' I'm going to help her hold it up.

I like the Sri Lanka idea for a lot of reasons -- good project, needy/deserving kids caught in the vortex of war and natural tragedy, personal connections to the island, research interests, etc., etc.

One thing Aunty Alison might not know is that the umbrella is a symbol of Buddhist kingship, though in Sri Lanka it would be more commonly called a 'parasol.' It is an ancient symbol, suggestive of how the people find care, comfort, and protection under the authority of a good and virtuous ruler. That kind of figure in Sri Lankan Buddhist history is called a chatrapati (chatra = umbrella/parasol + pati = lord/king).

I know it's silly but a little ditty has been flitting through my mind. It goes to the tune of 'My Little Buttercup," and I can't get it out my head -- She's my little chatrapati ... She's my little chatrapati ... She's my little chatrapati.

Aunty Alison will be good and virtuous, for sure, and under her umbrella many will find the shade cool and refreshing.

Sun Nov 06, 09:42:37 PM EST

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home